Monday, October 20, 2008

13.1 Miles

Yep, I did it. And I'm still alive! It was an awesome experience. 1000 women poised at the starting line, ready to do something amazing. The energy was so incredible, that it carried me for two hours and twenty minutes to the finish line. I wish I had pictures of that part, but my camera weighs like THREE WHOLE OUNCES and I wasn't about to carry it the whole way. So you'll have to settle for some before and after pictures.
See these feet? They are getting ready to do something they've never done before. They thought they never could. But they worked hard, got sweaty and often endured pain so that they could carry their owner where she wanted to go. Thank you, feet! You deserve some new running shoes. And a replacement pair for the other ones I left in the hotel. I liked this picture because it shows the chip that they use to record your time on my left foot AND my early birthday present on the right foot. The technology that's available to runners these days is amazing. And I like it. I also like this picture because someday I might develop cankles and I'll enjoy looking back at the good ole' days when you could see bones and things there.
This next one is gonna take a lot of humility to post. Because it's the dreaded after picture. Not only that, but it's a self portrait. So it's pretty terrible. But I was alone in the hotel and what's a girl to do? I had to document this experience. So brace yourselves. Here it is.
Notice the little white dots in my hairline? No, it didn't snow, although it was cold. That's salt. Like from sweat. EEEWWW! Now would someone please send me the "MOST CRAZIEST AND HUMBLE PERSON WHO POSTS A TERRIBLE SELF-PORTRAIT OF THEMSELF AWARD?" I'm pretty sure I deserve it. Well, except for that saying about how as soon as you say you're humble, you're not humble. And the fact that I'm TOTALLY BRAGGING about running this race. But I am pretty proud of myself. In case you couldn't tell. I think I was a bit delirious at the moment, too.
This next picture is of me (on the right) with the three other women that I went with. I can't say that I ran with them because we run at different paces, so we split off and ran separately. It was good to just be able to zone out with my ipod and not worry about anyone else.
All in all it was a fabulous, amazing, inspiring, awesome, wonderful, terrific, and cool experience. And I just might do it again.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I am so proud of you:-) You did it!!!! Now I wish I had. Did your honey tell you that I tried to call you? I left you a message on your cell that must have been shut off. You looked great by the way. Just being concious after a something like that is impressive let alone sitting up straight and thinking about documenting the event. Awesome job friend....

Anonymous said...

Geeesh girl, you really wow me! And of course I get accolades too because you're my daughter and so you got some of that great athletisism from me! You are truly amazing....what is that on your right foot? Happy Birthday this week, you sure deserve to do something nice for yourself. I can see the excitement in your face, you the girl who always hated to run. I guess Chris is pretty proud huh? The kids just think all the parents do these kinds of things, they don't realize how extraordinary you are. The rest of us sit around watching other people do cool stuff. It must feel awfully good to accomplish something like that. The wonderful, extraordinary, cool thing I accomplished was to give birth to you....I am so proud of all that you are and do; and not just the running, but the everyday stuff that you seem to make fun and rewarding. Ok, enough of the mushy stuff, I know how you hate it. But I love it, so suck it up! Love you muchly, MOM

Melissa said...

You go girl! That is so awesome! I can't imagine how it feels to accomplish something like that :) And you might do it again, eh? Next time, come do a run in San Diego or L.A. I'll take you out to dinner after to replenish your carbs :D

The Lighthearts said...

For the first time in my life the only word(s) that comes to mind is...AMAZING!!!
(Somehow I missed this post so that is why I am commenting now)