Wednesday, November 19, 2008

This day was the long awaited fishing trip with Rich and Dawn. We had to get up early to meet our boat on the beach at 6am. Can you believe how gorgeous the view is at that hour? I normally don't think anything is gorgeous at 6 am, but this deserves an exception, don't you think? Oh, and yeah, it was already warm out too.

We had rented the boat for five hours and REALLY wanted to catch some fish. So right away there was a little bit of tension in the air. You can tell just by looking at this picture. These are two really tense guys. No fun going on here.
This is a mahi mahi. We hooked into this guy fairly quickly. And I use the term we very, very loosely here. I had no idea how this was going to work, but apparently our job was to sit and watch while the captain drove and the first mate worked his butt off changing out hooks and baits and things on all the fishing poles. Then when they get a fish on we, the overpaying tourists, have the privilege of reeling it in. It kind of reminds me of taking a four year old fishing. But don't get me wrong. We had a blast. And we probably wouldn't have caught anything if we had been trying to do it all ourselves. Especially since we've never fished for mahi mahi or wahoo.
After we caught the mahi mahi it was time to focus on some other types of fish. Rich was really hoping to get a wahoo. So we fished and fished and fished until our time was almost up. We were getting bored and hungry. But we all agreed that a bored and hungry day in Costa Rica is still better than a day at work. Now the tension was really starting to build because Rich hadn't had a chance to reel anything in yet, and Chris and I were feeling guilty about it. The captain was looking stressed and the first mate was changing lures constantly in an effort to hook a fish for us. Then all of a sudden, we had one! The captain could tell us what kind it was before we could even see it. "It's a wahoo!" The boat came to life and Dawn and I drew our cameras out faster than an old western cowboy. "Wahoo! Rich got a fish!"



We took the fish back to our hotel and they cooked it up for us that night. It was so good! And this is coming from a non-fish eater. So you KNOW it must have been good.



But before dinner, we had some massages scheduled at those huts I mentioned earlier. Chris was a little nervous because he had never had one before so I assured him that he would be covered the whole time with a sheet. OOPS! Apparently in Costa Rica it's customary to use only a beach towel to cover you. It was a bit... how should I put this? breezy.

After bearing it all to the massage therapists I was feeling extra care free, so I let Dawn talk me into Meringue lessons at the pool. See that guy and girl in blue and yellow? Their job is to make fools out of the American tourists. Job well done, guys. Job well done. I'm sure they have lots of good laughs in their break room.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I am so glad you guys had a great time. Forgive me for the pic. I couldn't resist.

Melissa said...

So fun! I've never had a massage. Isn't that sad?