Thursday, July 17, 2008

Cliche Summer

Today the kids were playing outside enjoying summer, and it made me have a flashback to my childhood. Jantzen and her friend were in their swimming suits, eating otter pops in preparation for running through the sprinkler.

To me that is just the perfect thing to do on a summer day. I remember wearing my swimming suit all day long, not even caring who saw me in it. I would be happy to go to the store in it, and so is Jantzen. Aah, the good ole' days.


The boys were down the street selling juice to passers by.


(Notice Carson in THE SHIRT again?)

They started out in front of our house in the shade of our big maple tree. But soon they realized that the stop sign provided them with a captive audience. So they moved in front of our neighbor's house. Before too long, she had provided them with an umbrella for shade, and even bought some juice from them. What great neighbors we have! I didn't think that this pursuit would last too long, but they had a steady stream of customers and made $20 in just a few hours. They can't wait to do it again tomorrow. My boys have been known to be quite the entrepreneurs around here. Last year they sold our surplus of tomatoes from the garden. They have been door to door selling rocks and old matchbox cars. They have held bike washes in our driveway. And once, when Keaton was about 5 or 6 he went door to door selling stickers that came in some junk mail. They have no problems using their cute little sister to gain customers. They just bring her along whenever they're selling stuff. It works like magic.

This is the stuff that summer is made of. Yeah, vacations are fun. Who wouldn't want to take a trip to some amusement park or go camping in the mountains? But I really like this day to day stuff too. The times when you don't know what day it is. You have no thoughts of homework, teachers or grades. You look at your calendar and the day is totally blank. Yeah, summer totally rocks.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Sometimes I wish my kids went to school through the summer and then had a few months off in the winter. It's just too hot to do anything outside... looks like your kids are having a ball though :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah your kids would be outside riding bikes in 100 degree weather! Man what it used to be like when we were that age! Yeah I too remember spending days or even weeks in my swim suit....Ahh those were the days. No makeup, not doin the hair, goin to work...I just wanna be a kid again!!

Gina Hallam said...

They wouldn't sell me a double mocha latte ;( hehehehe...their response was priceless though. Such goofy funny kids :) Tell them thank you for the laughs :)