Friday, July 25, 2008

Iron Chef

I have always maintained that if I could afford to hire any kind of help around the house it would be a chef. Not a maid, chauffeur, gardener or nanny. Yes, I would rather clean toilets than cook. Sometimes I don't really mind it. If I have all the ingredients, time and ideas in the world. But I never have those things. I would much rather be accomplishing something that would have a lasting effect. Not something that will fill our bellies for a few hours and then be gone. But for the most part, I try to cook decent meals for my family. I rarely buy anything ready-made from the freezer aisle or those "just add water" meals.
LAST NIGHT MY DREAM BEGAN TO COME TRUE.
I had started making dinner when I realized that it was time to go pick Carson up from Cub Scouts. I gave Keaton the option of going to pick his brother up or staying home and cooking dinner. He chose to go get Carson. Then he remembered that he's only 12 and can't drive yet. So then he chose to cook. Here's what happened. We were having fettuccine alfredo (not from a jar...see paragraph above), caesar salad and french bread. I had started boiling the water for the noodles, melted the butter for the alfredo sauce and turned the oven on to heat the bread. That's it. I gave him some quick oral instructions and took off. By the time I got home, everything was done and put on the table, which he had also set. We walked in, sat down and ate. It was glorious! And he enjoys cooking, too. His wife is gonna be one lucky girl. I realize that this isn't the most complicated meal ever, but I think that's pretty darn good for a 12 year old boy! I know some adults who don't cook like that.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I have a hard time letting the kids help me cook. I know that's horrible, but 9 times out of 10 it just creates more work!
I have yet to find an alfredo recipe that I really like... mind sharing yours?

Anonymous said...

I told you he was one special kid
!! I totally agree...I don't know if he will ever find anyone worthy of his never ending service, kindness, and of course coolness!!!