Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Keaton's trek





This morning Keaton left for the trek. For those of you that don't know, it is a reenactment of the trek that the Mormon pioneers made across the plains in search of a safe place to live. They faced persecution and hardship and many people died. Lots of them didn't have animals to pull their carts so they used handcarts, meaning the people pulled them themselves. This is what Keaton is doing this week. It is for kids age 12 to 18, and Keaton turned twelve in March, so he was very excited to be included in it. Each person had to fit all their belongings (other than their sleeping bag) in a 5 gallon bucket. We were very surprised to find that he fit everything in easily and still had room to spare. So we threw an extra shirt in there and called it good. Here he is this morning dressed in costume and ready to go. Just one last look through the fridge is all he needed.


Then he did a quick scan of the horizon and he was off! What a goofball.
Please remember him (and all the other kids) in your prayers this week. They are walking 34 miles and it's supposed to reach 94 degrees by Friday. I almost feel like I shouldn't use my air conditioning in solidarity for them. Almost.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jodi, I have to confess that I have been a lurker. Only because I don't know how to send a post so here goes nothing. I am so excited about your blog so that I can stay more connected with your darling family. In my perfect world we would just live around the corner from each other so that I could see my grandkids more often! They are so adorable although I should find a better adjective to describe Keaton. At any rate I hope that he is having a great experience on his trek and that he will always remember the the challenges and good expeiences that he experienced. Love you guys and hope to see you this sometime this summer.