Saturday, June 28, 2008

He's Alive!

Well, our pioneer came home today. He's tired and DIRTY, but doing well. He was one of the lucky few who didn't get any blisters on his feet. This picture of him is right after they finished. They were in the sun the whole time with no shade, but they finished at this park where there was three things they hadn't seen in four days: grass, trees and shade. They were so happy to be done! I went up to help them with their celebration. They had several different games and activities, but I have to say that the one I did was the most popular. I worked at the bath house where everyone could have their hair washed and the girls had their hair braided. When we got there and started setting up people gathered around and practically drooled at the sight of shampoo, even the men. One woman cried for joy when she heard that we were going to wash her hair. It's amazing the things we take for granted every day, but when it's taken away for awhile you come to really realize how lucky we are! They were arranged into "families" for the week with a ma and pa and about 8 kids. Keaton's parents were some really neat people from Umatilla, and he said that everyone got along really well. It was weird for me to hear him calling other people "mom" and "dad". I accused him of cheating on us. HAHA. We are supposed to hear a full report tomorrow of everything that took place. I don't know if you can tell, but his lips were VERY chapped. Why didn't I pack lip balm for him? Duh! So I let him use some of mine, then took it home with me. He still had 24 hours until he would come home. Hello McFly! What kind of mother am I?
Just so you can gain a full appreciation of how dirty he was, I've taken some close-ups of his clothing.




Yeah, I'm sure you really wanted to see that! But I was just so amazed at how dirty all these kids were! Keaton went straight to the shower when he got home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow he is so awesome!! The trek is the hardest thing I have ever done! I was his age when I went and I totally give him props for sticking it out and finishing!!! Yes extremely dirty, hope fully they had a lake or stream or creek....so they could cool off. Well tell him how proud I am of him!! He's "Great" . He will know what the quotes mean :)

Melissa said...

That's awesome! I did a pioneer trek kind of thing as a kid - I will never forget that experience!! I hope you'll post details.

Anonymous said...

Tell Keaton from Grandma Fay that he is a stud! I thing he is so awesome and that he was a real trooper (pioneer) for accomplishing such a difficult task. A little birdy told me that he also had a great attitude. Thats the stuff my grandson is made of. I am so proud of you Keaton. Love ya tons

Anonymous said...

What a guy! He's made of pioneer stock and it sure shows! I hold you in great esteem Keaton...you have many gifts and it is such a pleasure to watch you grow up and share your life with others. You always surprise me with your wit and insight, and handsome to boot! Congratulations on your accomplishment! Lotsa love, Grandma Shanna